A lot has happened this week and things are starting to sink in at many levels. My move to Chile is not so much in the distant future as much as it is becoming a part of the present. Reading about poor Sara's scary health situation and having a health scare in my own family really has made me think about the reality of living so far away from all of my loved ones.
I can't really say that I operate well under pressure when faced with a crisis of my own, but I seem to react well when others are in crisis. I guess that is probably mostly true for all of us, but this week that mirror was really held up to me to take a long hard look. Fortunately my step dad's bypass surgery was a success and he should be back home by next week. I'm also grateful that I was still here to lend a hand to Kris and Nate when their new twins decided to make an appearance at 33 weeks.
These are the moments that make the reality of my decision to leave for a whole year a little harder to accept. Family and friends are the most important parts of my life, and I'm fortunate to have their support as I venture off to add a new chapter to my life. I hope that a part of this transition for me will be learning how to give my love and support from afar and remembering that home is only a plane ride away.
I think when you get here you'll realize that Chile is not as far away as it seems. We were the first ones to my dad's bedside when we had our own family emergency and we were actually in Argentina at the time!
ReplyDeleteBut I know what you mean, it definitely makes you think twice about certain things, doesn't it?
Thanks for the link! And the card! And the journal. I'm so lucky to have such awesome friends in all corners of the globe. I'm glad to hear your step dad is doing better. My grandpa had quadruple bipass surgery about 6 years ago. He's doing just fine now.
ReplyDeleteKyle-
ReplyDeleteI'm sure you are totally right about the distance thing. I'm already a plane ride away from most of my family, so it's good to keep things in perspective that way.
Sara-
I'm glad you have such a great network of support out there. I like the "community" feeling already. It makes it a lot easier to answer when people ask me if I'm going to Chile by myself or if I "know" anyone there!