Went to China, lived in Chile, went back to the States, and now I live in Tucson, Arizona. Welcome to my online journal of random thoughts and travel adventures.
Saturday, August 14, 2010
First Post from Chile
I’m sure this will be a really random post just by the nature of my activities over the first 48 hours of my time in Santiago. First, I’m at a hostel with other participants from Teaching Chile, so imagine a tiny little room with the majority of us being female and having approximately 4 bags each! Second, I had only been here one day and had to attend an orientation at my institute for my classes which begin on MONDAY! Yikes, I haven’t even had a chance to sit down and write a lesson yet for my Monday class, which thankfully isn’t until Monday evening, and I still have to make a trip down to pick up materials for my Tuesday/Thursday class, which I still won’t have time to do until Monday morning. Tomorrow, hopefully I will get the heck out of this hostel since 3 nights will definitely be my limit here. Thankfully I have met some really cool people and two of them happen to have birthdays this weekend so we plan to go out tonight to do a bit of celebrating! So far I am enjoying the city and trying to find my way around and get used to the subway lines so I don’t do something stupid and end up being really late for a class. It’s a great city, and the weather has warmed up quite a bit since my arrival. It’ll be nice to get a little clearer view of the Andes at some point and hopefully see less of the smog blanket. I’ve already eaten a great Peruvian meal and tried an empanada de choclo. Keep your fingers crossed that I move into my casita tomorrow, get unpacked, and write a good lesson plan!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Muy interesante Heather ! Conforme leía tus lineas , me imaginaba en Santiago...sé que ha cambiado mucho desde que estuve por allá..pero igual me encanta ! La gente también es muy especial y cariñosa..ya viste el cerro San Cristóbal? y el Santa Lucía? creo que hay una disco muy buena por alli...ten cuidado nomás, y no andes sola para nada ok? Me dio mucho gusto leer que habías saboreado comida peruana..¿qué comiste? y ¿dónde?
ReplyDeleteLooking forward to reading about your classes next week...
Un abrazo,
Josie
Josie, no te preocupes de mi! :) Comimos en un restaurante que se llama "La Casa del Chef" en Providencia. Probe un plato de pollo con espinacas y salsa de aji amarilla muy sabrosa. Gracias por seguir mis aventuras!
ReplyDeleteWelcome to Chile!!!! I hope you have a smooth transition! Though at times the city can make you feel like getting on the next plane back home as fast as possible, just give it time and soon you'll never want to leave. I know of a few gringas here that don't have Chilean boyfriends or any real connection to Chile but just don't want to leave because they've fallen in love with the place!
ReplyDeleteHi Heather - A very warm welcome to Chile from an expat "Chili-bean" living in Canada. At this point you may not realize this, but you are very fortunate to be able to quickly learn all about Chilean life and all its quirky ways from so many expats. This was not possible in the pre-internet days.
ReplyDeleteI do have an aunt in Santiago East who, like me, loves gringos(as)and would be happy to help you answer your questions and have you over for the most delicious "kuchen", a scrumptious german cake.
She is a very spunky and appreciates having an opportunity to practice English. Should this be of any interest to you at all, let me know and I'll be glad to put you in touch with her.
It was great meeting you yesterday! I look forward to reading your take on Santiago and Chile in the months to come, and we'll definitely be seeing each other soon.
ReplyDeleteLou, thanks for the welcome!
ReplyDeleteJohn, I appreciate the offer, as soon as I get a little more settled and used to my schedule, I just might take you up on that!
Abby, you too, and thanks again for all of the help that you have given me!