Tuesday, September 21, 2010

My First 18th

I was a bit disappointed this summer watching the World Cup from afar, wanting to be in Chile to join in the festivities in a country that really takes soccer seriously. Although I got up early to watch the games and proudly wore my "I heart Chile futbol" t-shirt, it just wasn't the same. I was patiently waiting for my consolation prize, being here in Chile for the Bicentennial celebration.
Dieciocho is a big word around here, meaning the 18th of September, the Fiestas Patrias, and this year, the Bicentenario, or the 200th anniversary of Chile's independence from Spain. In fact, it's not just an independence day around here, as indicated by the signage, it's a whole month of celebrating!

Bad picture, but you get the idea
Now that's a big flag
Even la casita has been properly adorned
Celebrating the 18th means that the whole country was on holiday pretty much from Thursday afternoon until this morning. Everything is closed, so you have to stock up in advance for your barbecues and all of your beverage needs.  I think about what the supermarkets are like on the 3rd of July, now imagine them all shut down from Friday afternoon until Tuesday morning!  Thankfully yesterday I was able to sneak into a botilleria that was open to grab some more wine. :) It was actually quite peaceful (I use that word lightly) at certain times in Santiago, mainly because there is less traffic due to all the people who take advantage of this time to leave the city to head out of town to visit family or head over to the beach. What can't be described as peaceful is heading out to any public places, whether to see a parade, go to a fonda, or see the light show, "Pura energia, Pura Chile."

The crowd at Parque O'Higgins gathering before the military parade
A fonda, or what in the US is similar to a summer festival with many individual booths to buy food and drinks
Don't forget your llama...
Or to eat before you leave the house if you don't like meat...
Or your game face...
Fortunately, I was able to try some food other than giant pieces of meat that I really enjoyed, like mote con huesillos and pastel de choclo.

Serving up the mote con huesillos, a sweet drink made from peaches, sugar, cinnamon, and husked wheat
Pastel de choclo, usually made with a layer of meat, boiled egg, olives, potatoes, onion, with a mashed kind of sticky corn cover that sticks to your teeth.  This one was veggie and had mushrooms instead of meat.
And just because I was a little homesick this week, I also celebrated with some good old NFL football (can't believe the Bears are 2-0!), a burrito the size of my head, and a pitcher of beer 
It was a fun week, and since I have been here in Chile I certainly cannot be accused of working too much!

6 comments:

  1. I hear the flags in front of homes/apts has little to do with patriotism and more to do with some law Pinochet put into effect that was never ratified.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pics really capture the celebratory spirit! AND...I love that even all the way down there you are still keeping up with your Chi Town sports :) Don't be too homesick - I wouldn't say you're missing much around here! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrea-

    Thanks for mentioning that. As I looked around the last few weeks it was hard to believe that the flags weren't hung just for the spirit of things!

    Jenny-

    Just talking about gringo sports bar food with my students makes me want to come home and eat a whole bunch of stuff that I never even ate while I was there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather,
    So excited to see your blog on Sarah Janes page!
    You two are so adventuresome! Enjoyed reading about Chile and China! You look happy and healthy as you travel the world!!!
    Take care,
    Lin (SJ's Mom)
    Still in Solomons

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe Andrea is right. I heard that Pinochet made a law that said that during Fiestas Patrias every house had to fly a Chilean flag or they could be fined...or worse. The law was never changes and people still follow it.

    I love the llama pic. Once L and I were walking near Plaza de Armas and there was some dude with a llama and the llama was wearing a hat. Of course, I starting begging L to ask the guy if we could take a picture with the llama and he wouldn't. I think for about the next half hour I was mumbling something about "A llama...in a hat...whodda thunk it?"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lin-
    Great to hear from you! Thanks for leaving a comment. I'm so excited for SJ and what she is doing and also was able to see some pics of Christopher's wedding on Facebook. I hope all is well in Solomon's and I still think of everyone a lot.

    Sara-
    haha! I totally agree, I expect to see some llamas around but not being dragged around Santiago. :)
    See you soon!

    ReplyDelete