Tuesday, February 15, 2011

My German Roots

I love traveling in Spanish speaking countries where people take one look at me and immediately assume that I'm from Germany. I think it's great that they can reach this conclusion without even looking at my last name, which would be an easy giveaway.
It's not like my friend M, who is also a good old fashioned gringa with Irish blood who speaks such good Spanish that she often get's called Puerto Rican, or most recently during her visit to Chile she was told she looked Central American...What?!? I wish I were having that problem...
 Anyway, I took my German roots and headed to Puerto Varas next, a cute little town that was colonized by Germans along the bay of Lago Llanquihue.

Better shots of the lake and volcanoes in future posts

It's a busy place with everyone on summer vacation

Lush and green everywhere


Lots of European architecture

It's also known as the "City of Roses"
Just around the lake and even cuter and more European looking is Frutillar. It's an easy minibus trip from Puerto Varas and it doesn't disappoint.

First I grabbed a jugo at this adorable little cafe while the skies were clearing. All of the kids were stopping to pose with the elf.
A cute little poem about elves

Quaint bed and breakfasts
One of my favorite photos, I think I'm ready to take a photography class!!!
Tomorrow I'm headed over the Andes to Argentina, so the rest of the posts from my trip south will have to wait until I get back. I can't wait to see a lot more of these...

I'm a little obsessed with vineyards these days

4 comments:

  1. My German Friend,
    It makes me feel so up-beat to see the pics of the blooming summer flowers. The architecture does look very different than the areas around Santiago (that I saw). I'm glad that you got to another vineyard. Did the owner offer you any tutoring jobs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Puerto Rican friend-
    Soon you will be seeing those pansies, just a few more blizzards to get through first!
    No more tutoring jobs, but we did visit some of the smaller more private ones like we did that day on the bike tour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get mistaken for German a lot, too. It's my name, it's my face, and my accent apparently. Once, I even got mistaken for a Chilean from the south with German parents. That was sort of a compliment to my Spanish :) I don't know if I could pull the same thing off again now that it's so rusty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sara-
    I see you as much more Russian! haha Great to see you back in Chile.

    ReplyDelete