Tian'anmen, or "The Gate of Heavenly Peace", is the main entrance to The Imperial Palace, or the "Forbidden City", which housed 24 emperors over 5 centuries. Ordinary Chinese were forbidden from even approaching the walls and the emperors rarely left the premises. The complex contains over 800 buildings and would take days to walk around to see more than 900 rooms!
Went to China, lived in Chile, went back to the States, and now I live in Tucson, Arizona. Welcome to my online journal of random thoughts and travel adventures.
Saturday, June 27, 2009
Forbidden City
We had a very busy 13 hour day today starting with a visit to the Panjiayuan Market where we got to do some shopping and bargaining, a trip to Tian'anmen and the Forbidden City, a stop at a silk factory, dinner, and then a performance at the Lao She Tea House. Now we are back at the hotel preparing to depart at 6 am to visit the Temple of Heaven and the Great Wall. Forgive me, as it is often difficult to think clearly after these long days, but I know if I wait too long I will get behind on posting about all of our learning experiences!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Wow! How wonderful to see these historic places!
ReplyDelete