Wednesday, July 21, 2010

10 Random Thoughts

I'm not in Chile yet but I am starting to feel like I'm not yet really here anymore either.  I can't come up with anything concrete to write about pertaining to one topic so I guess I'll just try to formulate my thoughts into a list.

1. Kind of ironic that my first day of work in Chile will be exactly the same as it would have been had I kept my current teaching job. (Friday the 13th? Not sure how I feel about that either way)

2. I can't seem to stop eating avocados almost daily although they will still be a main staple in my diet very soon.

3. People are starting to ask me if I'm freaking out yet and I continue to say no.  When will I say yes?

4. It's been so hot here this summer that for the first time in my life I think I might be excited about putting on a sweater in a few weeks.

5. I spent 500 bucks on a kitty cardiology appointment today and when good news accompanies it it's amazing how you just don't really care how much it costs.

6. I borrowed a luggage scale from a friend and just weighed my first suitcase with a whole lot of stuff in it and I'm only at 26.5 pounds so far. Score.

7. My cell phone is now a piece of crap. It doesn't ring anymore and when half of my friends call it restarts itself and goes straight to voicemail.  I guess it's good practice for my future piece of crap Nokia.

8. At my house right now (where only one person is currently residing) there are 2 cars, 3 computers, 2 ipods, and 2 Kindles.  I can rationalize some of this, but seriously, why bother? Ridiculous.

9. Perfect timing that I get to see my whole family at my brother's wedding right before I leave.

10. I really hope that living in Chile sparks my interest in cooking some more.  I love foods that are good for me but love them so much more when someone else cooks them for me.  This is so not a part of my gene pool...not sure what happened.

6 comments:

  1. I hate that in limbo feeling of being in between two places!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still feel like I'm in between two places!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Remember that in Chile, it is Tuesday the 13th that is bad luck, not Friday... so you are safe! I defended my dissertation on a Friday 13th. I am not superstitious, but it is fun to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh fun, I like that, thanks for that little tidbit! I'm not superstitious either but I have been enjoying teasing my teacher friends about starting school that day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't freak out! Nothing says you have to. some people are just more chill with a move like that.

    Oh and those brick Nokia cell phones that come with the pre-pay service get a great signal and you only have to charge them once a week so win win.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Palta won't be a staple in your diet quite yet - in Santiago it's averaging $4 USD a kilo!!

    And as the previous commenter said, the Nokia brick phone rules! I've had mine for almost 2 years and it's better than any cell phone I've had in the US - perfect service and yes- you only have to charge it once a week!

    Make sure you keep an open mind and don't set any expectations!! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete