Yesterday, we decided to head up Cerro San Cristobal, which is a big "hill" in the middle of Santiago that is actually a little spur of the Andes and from there you can usually get some great views of the city. You can ride to the top on a "funicular", which is like a little cable car on a train track, and I have to say that it seems that I went on an extra smoggy day.
Smog exhibit A
A better view of the mountains as the sun is beginning to set
Today we paid a visit to the Museo de Bellas Artes.
Across the street, me posing in Parque Forestal
A stroll through the Plaza de Armas
So many hot dogs everywhere, sometimes I feel like I am still in Chicago.
Sundays are a great day to be out wandering around since there are so few people out and about.
That also amounts to fewer restaurant choices since so many places are closed on Sundays. Here we are enjoying a nice Peruvian lunch.
Cheers!
Glad you found a partner in crime to go tour with. I can tell the mountains are beautiful if the smog would just move aside...
ReplyDeleteLooks weird to see the coats!
Glad you were finally able to do some more exploring. Sounds like you are making lots of friends down there. Hope all is well :)
ReplyDeleteBev
I'm glad you are having a good time and have met friends so quickly. I look forward to reading about all your adventures this year.
ReplyDeleteStay warm,
Kris
Oh smog... so typical of every day here and you captured it accurately! Hope Santiago is treating you well otherwise (bc I can't imagine its treating any of our lungs well ...)
ReplyDeleteGreat pics!! It looks like you are really settled in and are having a great time. I'm sure you love having some down time to explore w/ amigos. :)
ReplyDeleteyumm, Peruvian food near Plaza de Armas. That's where my favorite Peruvian restaurants are, but it took me a while to find them.
ReplyDeleteIn my opinion, you spent the day in the greatest barrio in Santiago (bellas artes), but I am extremely biased :)
I loved your pictures-it is like you are on a year-long vacation! So jealous!! Can't wait to talk to you today on Skype!
ReplyDeleteH, I know that you have a great sense of direction....it's like you said on Sun., 'you can't get around in Chicago unless you know where the Lake is'. You will adjust! I hope that you get the rain that you wanted to clear the smog. Stay warm in your booties. Let me know when you finally give in and eat one of those Chilean hot dogs.
ReplyDeleteHa! I know you have a great sense of direction, too. I'll always appreciate all the times you found me when I was lost in China!
ReplyDeleteChile looks beautiful!