Sunday, December 26, 2010

Christmas with friends

This wasn't the first Christmas that I have spent away from my family, being that we are spread all across the country and sometimes being together on the actual holidays doesn't work out exactly right. I always have friends at home who take me in and for that I'm forever grateful. This year I was lucky enough to spend Christmas with M and J, my first two visitors!

They came prepared with the essentials, summer clothes and Santa hats 
It is difficult to find restaurants open for dinner on Christmas Eve since most people are home with their families to eat a late dinner and open gifts at midnight. Since M and J were staying at a hotel, they got some recommendations and we chose this place, Los Adobes de Argomedo. It caters to tourists and serves some "typical" Chilean food. They were offering a set Christmas Eve menu and show representing typical music and dance of the different regions of Chile.

Luckily Christmas turkey was on the menu
Christmas decorations and Chilean flags
Even Santa stopped by to play the sax
And the show begins
And the crowd goes wild!
Everyone hugging and celebrating after the countdown to Christmas at midnight (so it felt like New Years Eve to us)
Since all of the celebrating and gift opening happens at midnight, Christmas is more like a day of rest. I slept until 11:00 yesterday morning without even waking up. It was by far the quietest day since I've been in Santiago with absolutely no noise to wake me up. Happy Holidays everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Your Christmas looks way Christmasy-er than my Christmas in Chile!

    And hey, why haven't we met yet? Let me know if you want to grab coffee sometime. 2011 is the year.

    ReplyDelete