Mark, this post is for you! When I went to China, I posted so many pictures of food it was ridiculous. The food was so unique and the presentation so beautiful that you couldn't help but get your camera out at every meal. (Carol!) I haven't said much about the food here in Chile and it's mostly because my eating habits aren't really that different than before.
I thought I would really learn how to cook, but as it turns out I really don't put together full meals really well. I check out all of the beautiful fresh fruits and veggies and just start cutting up what sounds good at the time. Yesterday it was a tomato and avocado salad with olive oil and balsamic vinegar with the tomatoes from yesterday's feria for 300 pesos a kilo!?!
It's also
choclo, or corn season around here too, so the other day Ita brought me a stew-like dish with finely ground corn, white beans, and some other veggies. Many of the veggie dishes that I love are winter foods and are way too hot for the summer.
So, here are some pictures of things that people eat around here, and I'm sure you'll be able to distinguish the things that I eat from the ones I'd never touch!
 |
| Can't get enough of this stuff |
 |
| Peruvian salad |
 |
| Chilean salad |
 |
| Aji de gallina, a Peruvian spicy chicken dish that's not made as spicy here in Chile since people like things a bit more bland. |
 |
| Baked seafood empanadas, one of my favorites |
 |
| Merluza, a typical whitefish with salad. It's pretty plain so you grab the lemon and squeeze it on everything and then salt away! |
 |
| Fried conger eel with some kind of puree |
 |
| Chorillana. Red meat, onions, eggs, fries, etc. Thankfully this is supposed to be for more than one person. Thankfully I don't eat it. |
 |
| Bistec a lo pobre. Another heart stopper. |
No comments:
Post a Comment