I just returned from my travels, and taking 400 pictures in a little over a week says that the south of Chile is a pretty amazing place. I knew it would be, but there is something about growing up in the Midwestern United States that doesn't really prepare you for glaciers, volcanoes, green colored lakes, and penguins.
The first leg of my trip was a stop in Punta Arenas, where I met up with my aunt and uncle who were finishing up a 3 week trip before heading up through Santiago and back home to Boulder, CO.
Here's a little map here to show you were I was...a long long ways from home!
View For the folks back home... in a larger map
Punta Arenas is an easy jumping off point to head over to the Argentine side of Patagonia (which I didn't do this time) and also to see penguins on Isla Magdalena, a two hour ferry ride away, I took so many pictures of penguins that they deserve a post of their own.
Since my aunt and uncle were coming off of about 5 days of intensive hiking in Torres del Paine, we spent a lot of time hanging out with great views over the Strait of Magellan looking out into Tierra del Fuego.
| A hike around Reserva Forestal Magallanes |
| Lots of fresh salmon |
| White fish with quinoa |
| We ate such delicious lunches that our dinners looked like this: wine, apples, cheese, and crackers |
| On the cozy "third floor" of the hotel surrounded by windows and light until almost 11pm! |
I miss it!! Loved those wine and cheese dinners overlooking the Straight of Magellan until almost 11 p.m.! Loved all of it ...
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like you had a great time before and after the arrival of the family. That fish looks tasty. I bet the one wrapped in foil was delicious. Was the food very similar to Santiago? The glaciers look different than the Alaskan glaciers. Talk soon.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful! I have a feeling we will be visiting there! ;)
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing the great photos and stories of your adventures!
Hope all is well!
Cheers!