From Punta Arenas I headed 3 hours north on bus to Puerto Natales, the jumping off point for visits to Parque Nacional Torres del Paine and also Parque Nacional Los Glaciares, in El Calafate, Argentina. (In that area I was so close to Argentina that my phone kept roaming back and forth.)
To maximize what I could see down there and still have a few days up in the Lakes District, I did the one day quick tour of Torres del Paine. I do regret a little going all the way there and not staying longer, but it is what it is, I still have a lot more of Chile to see! The good news is that there are a lot of bus tours available so that people like me can see a lot in one day.
I was lucky to get a clear day in Puerto Natales since it rains here a lot, but I wish I could have arrived a day earlier to have this day in the park...
The ferry that you see pictured above is an option that many people use to head north or south through Patagonia since bus travel is difficult down there and it's also an amazing way to see that part of the country. I opted for my favorite method of travel, the airplane, so I could later fly from Punta Arenas to Puerto Montt for the last leg of my trip.
After a good night's rest at
Casa Cecilia, I woke up to pouring rain and a gloomy outlook about what I wouldn't be able to see in the park. Unfortunately the most unique part of the park is the "torres" or towers, and those are only visible on clear days. Torres del Paine does have its own micro climate, so it was a little clearer once we got closer and the day went on, but still not clear enough to see the towers. Even on a cloudy day without the towers this is an AMAZING place!!! I guess that means I'll have to come back at some point so I can see everything...
 |
| Cordillera del Paine and Lago Sarmiento, still pretty cloudy when we arrived |
 |
| guanacos |
The light is so different in so many of these pictures since it seriously changed like every 5 minutes...
 |
| Los Cuernos del Paine (horns) |
 |
| Lago Pehoe |
 |
| In case you wanted to swim in a glacial lake |
 |
| Lago Grey and Glacier Grey |
 |
| Laguna Azul |
 |
| Caught a rainbow out the bus window as we were leaving |
 |
| My Uncle Tom's picture, the amazing towers that I couldn't see |
How beautiful and remote... Lovely to see such places exist right here in Chile!
ReplyDeletehttp://freezecheese.blogspot.com/
Hey, this looks familiar! Clearly Torres del Paine was the hot spot for gringas this year - I know another friend went as well. Shame you didn't get a clear view, but the clouds hanging around the massif are still a pretty awesome sight.
ReplyDeleteLani-
ReplyDeleteThanks for the comment, I hope you make it there someday!
Emily-
Yeah, it was awesome anyway! And BTW your guanaco pic is way cool. Hope you guys had a great weekend there.
H, your Chilean (Chilin)camera takes amazing landscape shots. I wish that I could have seen the Cuernos del Paine and the waterfall in person. To add to that, Laguna Azul looks just as amazing.
ReplyDeleteGreat photos! I'm sure it is even more beautiful in person. Miss you! Kris W
ReplyDeleteMeg-
ReplyDeleteIt was, you guys will have to come back!
Kris-
Thanks, the photos that people get when it's a clearer day are incredible. Miss you too!!!