As I spend my last full week in Santiago and prepare one bag to go to Peru on Saturday and the others to go back to the USA, I've been thinking about how easy it is to begin to questions one's decisions. I think when you're getting ready to close the door on something it's a lot easier to overlook the things that may have sent you packing in the first place...
Winter is coming. It's been beautiful and will reach 70 degrees today, but the cold and rain isn't too far behind...
Let's just say that some things about the institute that I work for are less than desirable and probably aren't going to change for awhile...
A lot of expats that you meet and get attached to are here temporarily, if I were to be the one to stay, they would be the ones leaving eventually.
As sad as I am about leaving, the bottom line is that although I'm ready to go home to see my family and friends and tie up some loose ends. I have some boxes to pack at the school that I left behind. I have some more boxes to pack at my townhouse that I'm turning over to someone else for another year...
I can thank my experience in Chile for giving me the tools to take each day at a time and worry about things as they come up. My "one year ago" self would never have survived the premise that in a week I'll technically be homeless and unemployed. My "10 months later" self knows that I'm meant to move on from Chicago and go somewhere else, that it's time to leave Chile (at least for a few months), and that if my job opportunity back home doesn't pan out that it's because I'm meant to do something else.
My favorite part of this post was the (at least for a few months) part. I'm going to miss you enormously!!! But I wish you only the very best as you figure out what the next step is. And I'll be working on your serenade when you come back to Chile with your llama sweater. :)
ReplyDeleteHeather!
ReplyDeleteI had to read back a few posts to get caught up! Those waves look amazing and inspiring some how! Weird to think of autumn already as summer has barley just arrived...at least you have that to look forward to also!
Want to wish you the best on the next phase of life! Don't think of it as homeless but rather "location independant"! As scary as it is..it does feel great to "live in the moment"! You go girl! :)
looking forward to hearing what happens next!
Cheers!
Amie
It seems like a few of us are nearing the end of the decision race. I've seen it in some other friends as well. It's like the planets shifted in their orbit to allow the energy to flow better. I hope you are having a great time on your trip. Let me know if you have a chance to meet up before you head back to the US.
ReplyDeleteAbby-
ReplyDeleteI'll miss you too, thanks for everything, before and during my time here. Still no sweater yet... ;)
Amie-
Thanks, I'm so excited for you guys and your adventure as well. I'm happy to turn the reins over to you two for at least awhile. Good luck!
Sara-
Yeah, things are definitely a-changing! Congrats on your latest progress, I hope it's a great job for you.