Sunday, June 28, 2009

The Great Wall

Today will probably be on record as one of my favorite days in China despite the fact that I am still at the beginning of my trip!  We had to begin very early in order to beat the heat and drive about 90 km northeast of Beijing to visit the Mutianyu section of the Great Wall.  It is less crowded and touristy than the Badaling section which is a little closer to Beijing.  With a 6am departure, many of us were snoozing on the bus and when we arrived, we were instructed to meet at a small coffee shop before we were to climb up to the cable car station in order to ascend.  Little did I know that my fellow travelers had arranged a birthday party for Tamara, who turned 30 on the 25th, and I, complete with birthday cakes decorated with our Chinese Astrological signs.  I am fortunate to be in China this year, as my sign is the Ox and 2009 is the year of the Ox! I am also very fortunate to be able to say that I climbed the Great Wall of China, and I
even have a t-shirt to prove it. About 9 of us also just enjoyed a 70 minute foot bath/massage after two very long days on our feet!

3 comments:

  1. These pictures are awesome! I can't wait to see the videos. Sounds like you're having an amazing time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting to be at the Great Wall, and to have a birthday celebration there, no less. Happy Birthday one day early (but I think it may be the 29th there?)I love that they decorated your cake with your Chinese Astrological signs. Nice synchronicity being the Ox and being there in the year of the Ox!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure this is a birthday you will never forget! I can't wait to hear about all of these amazing experiences!

    ReplyDelete