Sunday, June 28, 2009

Hutongs

"Hutong" means "alley" and the word, a derivative of Mongolian, dates back 700 years to the occupation of the Yuan Dynasty. The traditional courtyard homes, which are still in existence, are about 70% government owned and 30% privately owned.  Upon completion of our tour today, we dined in a home that occupied 4 rooms of an 32 room area shared by many families, with the only common space being a "shared" bathroom.  Many of these areas are now preserved and restored with aid from the government. Perhaps the most fasinating feature of the Hutong is the existing neighborhoods around these areas which are bursting with energy from the nearby lake, shops, and the many bars which lined the streets. I hope that at some point during my trip that I will be able to access my blog and post some of the videos that I have taken which will show some of this rich cultural energy.  But for now, I am still being blocked, and thanks to some help from a friend of
mine, you should be able to see your comments posted soon!

1 comment: