Monday, July 6, 2009

KFC

I can't remember that last time that I actually ate at a KFC in the States, but today we welcomed the opportunity to have a taste of American food to celebrate the 4th of July!  (No, there is no 4th of July celebration here so we created our own. However, the absence of fireworks was very strange!)
There are about 2000 KFC restaurants in China, and perhaps the most notable fact is that the menu here differs very much from the traditional Colonel Sanders that one might be accustomed to.  Menu options might include a Beijing duck wrap or perhaps the seaweed flounder sticks that I sampled tonight for dinner with a side of fries.  It is actually considered to be a more upscale restaurant, with some of the buildings having 3-4 stories with immaculate bathrooms, and a call-ahead or delivery service.  Chris, one of our guides in Beijing said that KFC and Pizza Hut are much more popular than McDonalds and that many families will celebrate Father's Day in China on August 8th with a family trip to KFC.

2 comments: